Character and fitness Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

Character and fitness

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:24 pm

I plan to graduate from law school May 2029, therefore taking bar exam then. I have two concerns about c and fitness for the bar:

1) is my understanding correct that for bar in nyc, if you have sought counseling mental health isn’t a part of c and f application (unless used as a defense)?

2). I have no criminal record no felonies misdemeanors inquiries or traffic but am worried about one issue that will be 8 years prior to graduating law school:

I did an internship in 2018 at a law firm with perfect evals. This internship was non paid. I was going through a rough period then lost my parents and grandpa in one year and bout with health issues. An attorney at the firm made up lies and defamation out of jealousy apparently of the good rapport with my boss. In 2020 a cousin unbeknownst to me contacted managing attorney how one attorney at firm was spreading lies, she had overheard through others, and apparently this was affecting my health she made seem a lot worst apparently because had an axe to grind with other attorney. And I had no idea about this til 2 years later. Apparently he reprimanded employees at firm and tracked down the 100 outside firm spreading lies. Obviously investigation was not about my wrong doing or else I’d have been contacted. Am worried people he confronted telling to stop lies painted negative picture of me and what if it was written in internal investigation?

Again did nothing wrong, have clear record and bci and fbi, and never was contacted about investigation which wasn’t any wrongdoing for me. But worried my cousin made health issues seem worst.

This shouldn’t cause c and f investigation if this wasn’t about my wrong doing and given it’s 8 or 9 years before I graduate from law school? Just worried who firm talked to, what was shared, if he requested emails from ppl etc?

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Character and fitness

Post by talons2250 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:13 pm

It's unlikely that this will present any sort of issue. Depending on the time cut-off for the bar application and your age, you may have to have a supervisor from that job fill out a form about you, but that's more about verifying the employment and/or internship, not less getting any sort of recommendation.

lawschoolsplit2023

New

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Thanks so much. So given I was of age when did this internship and given this incident will be 8 years old when I graduate law school and apply for bar, that should make it less worrisome? Thanks

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:02 pm

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm
Thanks so much. So given I was of age when did this internship and given this incident will be 8 years old when I graduate law school and apply for bar, that should make it less worrisome? Thanks
Whatever happened, it wasn't a disciplinary action against you, so there's no reason that your former employer would need to give any written records to the bar.

If you want to see what the bar application actually requires, you can look at it here. https://www.nybarexam.org/admission/adm ... packet.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”