Taboo to reach out to current clerks? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Taboo to reach out to current clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2024 1:33 pm

Should prospective applicants only be talking to former clerks--rather than current clerks--of judges they're interested in? Is it taboo to reach out to a current clerk, given that they will be one of the people screening your application? I can't remember if I read this advice somewhere or if I'm completely imagining it and it's fine to reach out to whoever you want. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Taboo to reach out to current clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2024 6:03 pm

Absolutely do not reach out to current clerks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2024 6:15 pm

Yeah it's taboo. Don't do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2024 7:54 pm

Thanks guys! Knew I wasn't imagining it lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2024 9:12 pm

I would add the caveat that if the clerk is a close friend or something then it would be weird to not reach out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2024 9:49 pm

I think "don't reach out to current clerks" really just means "do not cold email current clerks." When I applied for my clerkship, I talked to a friend who was clerking for the judge at the time. Did not seem taboo or weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2024 12:11 am

I think it’s fine if you know them, though I would caveat it with something like “I understand it might be weird since you’re currently clerking and am totally fine if you don’t feel comfortable chatting about the clerkship.” But if you’re reaching out cold, then think hard about contacting current clerks. That said, I definitely talked to people I didn’t know but who went to my law school while I was clerking. So I don’t think it’s a hard-and-fast taboo. Use your best judgment on whether you think the person will get weirded out by being contacted by you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”