Recommender Comment - Good, Bad or Ugly? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Recommender Comment - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I had a recommender who sent me a draft of a recommendation and asked for constructive feedback. The recommender said the following:

"In my decade of teaching, including visiting at universities such as [T6 school] and [prestigious English university], [Anonymous] is one of the top seven students in terms of intellect that I have taught."

My question for the clerks who have reviewed apps: does being called top seven all time help me, hurt me, or do nothing?

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Recommender Comment - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Solid humblebrag.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Solid humblebrag.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 pm

OP here. I laughed. I really wasn't going for the backdoor brag. I just didn't know if seven was too far out there. Like saying, "He's the best looking 6 I've dated."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Honestly, I think the thing that's good about the comment is that 7 is a weird enough number, it looks like the recommender actually thought about it and assessed where you fell - didn't just throw out a round number. But that's just me - I have no idea if anyone else would read it that way.

(Also, if the recommender is British - just going off the prestigious British university thing - LORs there tend to be much more honest than here; faculty actually tend to think the letters are supposed to be accurate assessments of your ability and look more convincing if they consider weaknesses, rather than here, where the expectation is that a LOR will be glowing and not breathe a word of weaknesses or it dooms you.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Honestly, I think the thing that's good about the comment is that 7 is a weird enough number, it looks like the recommender actually thought about it and assessed where you fell - didn't just throw out a round number. But that's just me - I have no idea if anyone else would read it that way.
This was my first instinct.

My second instinct was "what a clever prof -- he knew it would seem more genuine than if he said 5 or 10 students."

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Ugly. Judges aren't looking for T7 students. They're looking for T2, maybe T3.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:
This was my first instinct.

My second instinct was "what a clever prof -- he knew it would seem more genuine than if he said 5 or 10 students."
Ha! True.

And as for looking for T2 or T3 rather than T7 (wow, that looks weird), I think it depends on how many students the prof had. I taught full-time for 9 years (and part-time for longer before that) and probably had somewhere around 1500-2000 students. Once you get up the top students, it's hard to distinguish between the top 5-10.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I laughed. I really wasn't going for the backdoor brag. I just didn't know if seven was too far out there. Like saying, "He's the best looking 6 I've dated."
Well he's probably taught thousands of students. I doubt he's dated thousands of women. Ya dig?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”