Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm

This thread has incredible potential.

Any partners in the NY bankruptcy scene with a reputation? Or bankruptcy/RX generally. Would like to have a heads up as an incoming RX associate.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 pm
I've since left the firm but there was a particularly difficult associate at my V3 (in the flagship corporate group) who was notorious for not respecting the work/life balance of her juniors. She made partner a year or two after I left, and I've heard she's even more insufferable now. Multiple juniors left because they were staffed on her deals.
Typhoon June?
Ohh god I never had to work with her personally, but a couple of my friends left bc of her (I bet some of the juniors mentioned in the post above)

I know someone who was once on a deal with her where she ordered the entire deal team to spend all day and night in a windowless conference room for literally 75 hours per week for a month. It reeked. One girl left for her friends engagement party when there was nothing particularly urgent and she still got yelled at. Regular emails at 11pm with question mark follow ups when not answered before 7am.
My god, why do people put up with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 pm

Please keep up the doxxing, this is amazing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 pm
Please keep up the doxxing, this is amazing
This is not doxxing. No one is posting, like, home addresses or SSNs or whatever.

And I'm not being nitpicky - that's a major distinction.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:55 pm

Good thread.

I have some strong candidates from satellite offices but those offices are so small mentioning them might out me.

Separately, there was a Jennifer Kash at Quinn Emanuel who sent around an email asking her associates to let her know their availability for more work, with a friendly reminder that any associate billing under 2400 hours per year was still open to more work.

According to ATL, she apparently took a leave from QE to go live in the Caribbean and run a non-profit (see https://abovethelaw.com/2019/11/biglaw- ... -entirely/). Looks like she's back at a small law firm.

Good times.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've since left the firm but there was a particularly difficult associate at my V3 (in the flagship corporate group) who was notorious for not respecting the work/life balance of her juniors. She made partner a year or two after I left, and I've heard she's even more insufferable now. Multiple juniors left because they were staffed on her deals.
Typhoon June?
Ohh god I never had to work with her personally, but a couple of my friends left bc of her (I bet some of the juniors mentioned in the post above)

I know someone who was once on a deal with her where she ordered the entire deal team to spend all day and night in a windowless conference room for literally 75 hours per week for a month. It reeked. One girl left for her friends engagement party when there was nothing particularly urgent and she still got yelled at. Regular emails at 11pm with question mark follow ups when not answered before 7am.
Can confirm this is not an exaggeration. After enough associates complained, didn't she try to "boost morale" by providing wewekly snacks haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Any partners in the NY bankruptcy scene with a reputation? Or bankruptcy/RX generally. Would like to have a heads up as an incoming RX associate.
Garrett Fail at Weil
Andy Dietderich at S&C
Tom Lauria at White and Case
Everyone at Akin

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Garrett Fail at Weil
Andy Dietderich at S&C
Everyone at Akin
Is Lauria known as a bad boss, or is that just stemming from his reputation as nasty (and dubiously ethical) opposing counsel?

I'm asking because I genuinely don't know, not because I disagree. I'm definitely well aware of how he's scene externally and his apparently shitty political views.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:54 pm

I always kind of wonder if the senior partners working across from me that seem super competent and have their shit together are actually cool or are monsters irl. Richard Truesdell at dpw seems fantastic but I can’t tell how his associates view him. Any DPW lurkers care to chime in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:17 am

Any horror stories from Texas firms? By and large, the homegrown firms still seem to pitch the "this is kinder, gentler Biglaw" spiel, even though no one buys that anymore. I am curious if there are any particularly tyrannical folks in Houston/Dallas/Austin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Garrett Fail at Weil
Andy Dietderich at S&C
Everyone at Akin
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I worked across from Garrett Fail once. Total prick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:54 pm
I always kind of wonder if the senior partners working across from me that seem super competent and have their shit together are actually cool or are monsters irl. Richard Truesdell at dpw seems fantastic but I can’t tell how his associates view him. Any DPW lurkers care to chime in?
Yeah, Truesdell is pretty great. DPW partners I've worked for and with in my couple years there have all generally been decent. Some played favorites or were more micromangey and grumpier than others, but nothing "notoriously terrible" or that wasn't par for the course for NYC biglaw. Heard that M&A was much more of a mixed bag, but will reserve comment since never had direct dealings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am

Robbie Kaplan (of Kaplan Hecker) is very tough to work with (or, more accurately, for). She's well connected and brings in amazing cases, but they take a toll on associates. Like, a physically grueling toll slash heartburn. In retrospect, not worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bodylikeatwizzler

New

Post by bodylikeatwizzler » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?
Lol at "v3." I simply googled "June partner Skadden" and found June Dipchand M&A partner in NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am
Robbie Kaplan (of Kaplan Hecker) is very tough to work with (or, more accurately, for). She's well connected and brings in amazing cases, but they take a toll on associates. Like, a physically grueling toll slash heartburn. In retrospect, not worth it.
I heard this too, but I have no first hand experience. I am also nowhere near her professional or social circle, so this reputation must be really widespread. Is this still true? Again, why are people flocking to her boutique and is the culture of her boutique bad, because of this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:39 am

I have heard this as well from multiple sources that she is very tough to work for. On the other hand, I have heard Sean Hecker is very pleasant to work for. Still, I would avoid that boutique probably.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:14 am

bodylikeatwizzler wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?
Lol at "v3." I simply googled "June partner Skadden" and found June Dipchand M&A partner in NYC.
That was probs an intentional breadcrumb lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 am

Any nyc/dc tax groups/partners that have a bad rep?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 am

blair.waldorf wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?

Unfortunately, that's the business. And, working at biglaw is what law school students in the T20 are told to do. We are inundated by OCI and constant pressure campaigns, not to mention the alluring financial advantages we enjoy as associates. But, you're right: how people put up with this stuff past a year or two is beyond me. I left a toxic work environment at 2 years for a government job and have not regretted it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:36 am

Any insight into the SV/SF market? Heading out there this fall and curious if any partners from my firm have a bad rep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:38 am

What's the word on STB's M&A team? Any partners to get close with, and any to avoid?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 am
blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?

Unfortunately, that's the business. And, working at biglaw is what law school students in the T20 are told to do. We are inundated by OCI and constant pressure campaigns, not to mention the alluring financial advantages we enjoy as associates. But, you're right: how people put up with this stuff past a year or two is beyond me. I left a toxic work environment at 2 years for a government job and have not regretted it.
agreed this is the business, but to the credit of the poor associates staffed on this particular deal, most bounced from the firm or from the practice group

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am
I heard this too, but I have no first hand experience. I am also nowhere near her professional or social circle, so this reputation must be really widespread. Is this still true? Again, why are people flocking to her boutique and is the culture of her boutique bad, because of this?
Anyone have any other insights on the top litigation boutiques? I know Kellogg, Susman, and Wilkinson are supposed to be meat grinders but associates on here seem to love working at Susman from other threads

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 am
blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Typhoon June?

I disagree that locking associates in a windowless conference room for an entire month is "the business." Nothing like that has happened at my biglaw firm. I'm not going to say my job is fun or easy, but I'm genuinely shocked by this story. I would quit on the spot if a senior associate or partner expected this of me.

Juniors have simply got to stand up for themselves. It's not necessary to subject yourself to that kind of treatment to succeed in biglaw. Seniors/partners will treat you like shit if you allow them to treat you like shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Imagine grinding away your life for years and years only to have your name immortalized on TLS as a top asshole among an industry of assholes. Idk how these people don't have enormous regrets about how they've gone about their lives.

On an unrelated note, who are the screamers at S&C? Everyone shits on S&C as having one of the worst cultures surprised to not see much mention ITT

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”